Analyzing Intention of Words or Expressions Used in Propaganda Techniques
Activity 1. Analyze the sentences below and state what type of propaganda device is used in each. Write your answers on the space provided before the numbers.
1. A presidential candidate had a “boodle” fight meal with the barrio folks.
2. A popular actress endorses Juana Dela Cruz for the 2022 elections.
3. Old people are forgetful.
4. “You didn’t even finish high school. How could you
possibly know about this?”
5. What the world needs now is love!
6. Famous celebrities are now using this top of the line, newly released cellular phone. Join them to have a taste of good life and be in the trend!
7. Invest your money now and get a 100% return! Don’t be left out! Join thousands who are now enjoying a good life!
8. Mayor Juan Dela Cruz interacted with his town mates in T-shirt and rubber slippers.
9. Millennials are known to be as an entitled generation.
10. The Filipinos are worth dying for!
Ans. Activity 1:
1. Plain Folks
5. Glittering generalities
8. Plain Folks
10. Glittering generalities
Activity 2. Examine the different propaganda techniques used in the following advertisement. State their types and the motives in using each of them.
*Created/retrieved from canva.com
- Type: _______________________
- Type: _______________________
Ans. Activity 2:
1. Type: Stereotyping
Intention: It shows gender discrimination between sexes.
2. Type: Bandwagon
Intention: It seems it encourage everyone to join this type of movement since majority is claiming to protect the earth.
3. Type: Stereotype
Intention: It shows how mental problems suffer people and affects daily lives.
4. Type: Name-calling
Intention: The ads mock people in terms of physical appearance.
5. Type: Glittering generalities
Intention: It states that planning is worthless without action.
Activity 3: Using any type of propaganda device you have learned, draw/design your own poster or advertisement to convince or entice people to take part in certain causes or issues you believe in. Be guided by the rubric for scoring your advertisement.
* Sample poster encouraging everyone to
register and vote (sample poster retrieved from
RUBRIC FOR SCORING PROPAGANDA POSTER
|Category||3 points||2 points||1 point||Total|
|Message||The message is clearly identifiable||The message is not clearly identifiable||No clear message can be identified|
|Target Audience||The target audience is clearly identifiable||The target audience is not clearly identifiable||No target audience|
|Propaganda Technique||Clearly demonstrates the use of a propaganda technique||Does not clearly demonstrate the use of a propaganda technique||Demonstrates no propaganda technique|
|Grammar & spelling||Makes no errors in grammar or spelling that distract the reader from the content of the poster||Makes a number of grammatical and spelling errors that minimally distract the reader from the poster’s content||Makes many grammatical and spelling errors that distract the reader from the poster’s content.|
|Neatness||Uses color, visual images and words to clearly communicate the intended message. The poster is neat and cleanly presented||Makes some use of color, visual images and words to convey the intended message. The poster is lacking in overall neatness and presentation||Does not use color, visual images or words to communicate the message. The poster is sloppy and poorly presented.|
V. Reflection: What I Have Learned: Assess your learning progress by completing the following statements.
1. I have learned that in listening to propaganda, you should know how to discern and make critical judgments to help you see if the propaganda is truthful or factual, or if they are flawed or merely opinions.
- I have realized that propaganda is a form of communication which is intended to manipulate, mislead, distort, and influence the attitude and the way of thinking of people toward an issue.
- I believe I can deepen my understanding through critical analysis on different widespread categories of stereotyping are race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and physical ability.